Hi there! Thank you for checking out this project.
ABLETON LIVE 10 THEME LOCATION
(Probably same / similar for 9, but I own 10/11 so if someone could check that for me that would be awesome!)
- Open a new Finder window, and navigate to your install location for Live Suite.app. Typically in Applications. You can navigate quickly to the Applications folder by using the Finder menu (up where the Apple icon is), you will see "Finder", "File", "Edit", etc. There will be a menu called "Go", under "Go", click "Applications" to open it quickly.
- Right click on the app, and select "Show Package Contents".
- The app package will open, and you will see a folder called "Contents". Go into it.
- Inside, you will see a lot of folders. To get to the themes, go into the "App-Resources" folder.
- In the App-Resources folder, there will be a folder named "Themes". Go into it. Here you will find your theme files.
- Now that you know where your themes are, read "Using the app" to get started.
I don't have a Windows computer, these instructions were found online and provided here for convenience.
Live 10 themes can be found in one of the following locations:
- C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live x Version\Resources\Themes (Windows 7 and up)*
- C:\Program Files\Ableton\Live\Resources\Themes (older Windows)
- C:\ProgramData\Ableton\Live x Version\Resources\Skins (Windows 7 and up)*
- C:\Program Files\Ableton\Live\Resources\Skins (older Windows)
* depends on the respective Live version you have for example; Live 9 Suite.
Now that you know where your themes are, read on to "Using the app" to get started.
Using the app:
Drag and drop
- Now that the page is loaded and ready to go, and you have your files open in another Finder / Explorer window;
- Drag and drop the theme (that is closest to what you want) onto the "Choose file" button. This will auto-choose that file for you and start the application. The theme you select is NOT modified, and your edited theme will be "downloaded" rather than saved directly to disk.
That didn't work?
Or it navigated you to the file and displayed / downloaded it
- Click "Choose file".
- Follow the instructions above to get to your theme files in your Ableton installation for your OS and choose the one that is closest to what you want. The theme you select is not modified.
What am I looking at?
The application will resize depending on the size of your screen, but the order of the sliders is the same. In this case:
- Alpha (Transparency, generally best not to mess with this)
They will always be in this order. In they case they are displayed horizontally, or in any configuration, read left to right, top to bottom, they will always be in the same order. Red, green, blue and alpha.
Q: The file chooser is greyed out / disabled?
Q: How to install?
A: Copy / move the downloaded .ask from your downloads to your Ableton theme folder. Activate it under Preferences > Look/Feel inside Live.
Q: The colour pickers are all over the place!
A: Hopefully fix coming soon! :D For now it is purely cosmetic.
Q: I can't choose the same file twice?
A: Please refresh the page, and load it again that way.
All the best;